Monday, April 28, 2014

Open-faced Turkey Pot Pie



Today, I was cleaning out the freezer to fit all of the free Rice Dream ice cream I got from Whole Foods (they have a coupon and a sale that makes them free with no limit), and found a pie crust from Pi Day. I also had a lot of leftover turkey that we have been eating for days and needed to finish up, so I thought I would kill two leftovers with one dish (hahaha). I just started throwing things together as I went along making this pot pie. This recipe is more hearty and less creamy or saucy. It turned out very well - my sometimes picky husband even love it.

Open-faced Turkey Pot Pie:


Ingredients
1 cup chopped mix of carrots and celery (I usually have a bag of this in my fridge that I make once a week to throw in salads and dishes)
1/2 of a large onion
1/2 cup frozen or canned peas (I used frozen)
1/2 cup of frozen or canned corn (I used canned)
1 can of cream of anything soup (I used chicken)
3/4 to 1 cup of milk depending how thin you want it (I used 1 cup)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups cooked and chopped turkey
1 pie crust

Prepare the pie crust as directed on the package.  Then preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt butter over medium heat and add onions, stiring a few times. After about 2 minutes add the carrots and celery mix and turn up the heat to medium high. Cook for 2 more minutes while occassionally stiring. Mix in the can of soup and milk until well blended. Add the turkey, corn and peas (this shows how much I love my husband, I cannot stand cooked peas and he loves them). Pour the mix into the crust.

Bake on a cook sheet in the oven for 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into it.


Enjoy
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...