Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Healthy Side...


I've been dreaming of salads like this for awhile - it is so refreshing! Beth, Jamie and I go to a small mall to shop and sometimes eat. There's a pretty tasty Italian restaurant in the food court and they have this Chop Chop Italian Salad, and it is so delicious! I think the recipe I made here will eventually turn into something like theirs. My husband doesn't care for cucumbers so I picked those out - I'm glad I did since he said he really liked it. That means it can go into rotation for dinner sides, which makes me happy!

I have to tell you a quick funny while I made this recipe. I got everything diced and went to open the can of beans and I thought I grabbed the garbanzo's, but actually I grabbed the cannellini's. So now I need to find a recipe to use them in tomorrow. I was thinking, of course, I could just throwing them in instead, which I might do someday. I wanted to keep somewhat true to the original recipe this time.

Here's the recipe I adapted from Pinterest:

Greek Chopped Salad
1/2 red onion finely diced
1 english cucumber, chopped
4 roma tomatoes, chopped
1-15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans

Dressing:
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup of light olive oil
2 teaspoons of oregano, I used fresh and I put in 1 sprig finely chopped.
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Pepper to taste

Lettuce and parmesan (grated fresh) for each serving (optional)

Toss all of the salad mixings in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt and pour over salad mix. Toss to combine. Add pepper if your using and lightly toss again. Add lettuce to bowls and top with salad mixture and add freshly grated Parmesan to serve.

I could have added the lettuce to the mixture, my plan is to eat this for a couple of days and the lettuce would wilt!

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...