Friday, April 18, 2014

Easter Treats


I wanted to make a little treat for my kiddo's class for Easter. I found a cute egg mold baking sheet. It is for making whoopie pie's, but I thought that was a little too much for preschoolers so I left them as small cakes.  I made the recipe on the pan package, then I glazed the cakes with a powdered sugar recipe and topped with sprinkles.  They were delicious!

Here's the recipe - I hope you enjoy them!

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (the original recipe says 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 teaspoon almond extract, but I didn't) 
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup of milk
sprinkles or food coloring

Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Grease and flour your mold, if you're using a baking sheet and will be making traditional whoopie pies you can use parchment paper.

                          


In a small bowl beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla (and almond if you're using) until light and fluffy in color. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the egg mixture and milk until smooth and well blended. Fill wells or pan with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter. Bake 8-10 minutes until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes in pan then inverts cakes onto cooling rack and cool completely. Makes 24 halves.

Powdered sugar glaze:
1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
3 tablespoons of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Mix powdered sugar and milk, then add vanilla.

Dip the tops of the egg's into the glaze. Sprinkle with colored sugars, or if you're ambitious you can divide the glaze and dye different colors and decorate the cakes. I was planning on doing just that but the lines, polka dots and zig zags were not defined very well so I skipped that and went straight to the sprinkles and I'm so glad I did, they turned out great and the kids liked them!

                         

Just in case you wanted to make the whoopie pies, here's the recipe for the filling.

Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 cups marshmallow cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl often until light and fluffy. To finish, add a generous dollop of filling and slightly press to halves together.

Have a great weekend and Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...