Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Chocolate Zucchini Bread



I always have zucchini's in my fridge - Eric loves them so I try to add them anywhere I can in our meals.  I have never really liked zucchini (I will eat it, but it has never really been my thing) - but I LOVE chocolate zucchini bread!  I like regular zucchini bread too, but the chocolate just does it for me.  I even added mini chocolate chips to the recipe, because you know - the zucchini makes it healthy so why not? :).  I didn't have quite enough zucchini, so next time I will make sure I have more.  The only real tip I can say is to make sure you use the smallest grater you have.  The smaller the better because if it is too big you get stringy bites - and that isn't very appetizing.  Plus if you 'hide' it by making it small - most picky people will never know it was in there - this includes kids!  I know this for a fact because I was one of those people until I tried it to be nice since someone made it, and I found a new love.

Tiny shredded zucchini
Once you mix the batter, you can put it into any size or shape of pan you want - don't restrict yourself to a bread pan just because it is called bread!  I used tart shaped baking cups leftover from Christmas.  I kind of over filled them - I had that awkward amount of not enough for another one, but too much to waste.


I love using these cups becasue they are great to give out and they are easy to share.  You can even cut them into pieces and leave them in the cups for easy travel (I took some to share at the MS Walk on Sunday).

Now on to the part you want - the recipe!!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
2-4 cups grated zucchini 
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (I used a mix of regular and dutch cocoa)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup unsalted butter (12 Tbsp or 1 1/2 sticks), melted
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules (I don't like the taste and I have a friend who is allergic to coffee, so I did not include this)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Choose your pan, grease any pans if you are not using baking cups.

Grate the zucchini and check on how moist it is.  It should be moist but not in a puddle of water, if that makes sense.  If it is too moist, drain before adding - if it is not moist enough, soak for a few minutes to add moisture.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well blended with no lumps.  Combine sugar and eggs in a stand mixer and beat until smooth.  Add the melted (cooled) butter, both extracts and instant coffee (if using) - mix until smooth.  Add the shredded zucchini and mix to combine.  Add the flour mixture (Full disclosure: every recipe will tell you to combine in 3 equal parts, mixing well between each.  I don't do this - I always add some, mix it a little then add it all because I am impatient.  I have never had any issues with doing it this way, but please do it however you like).  Add the mini chocolate chips.  The batter will almost look like chocolate mousse - very thick and creamy - but with lumps because of the zucchini and chocolate chips. :)

Evenly distribute the batter between your pans and bake for 15-50 minutes.  The size of your pan will determine how long it needs to bake - so if you are using cupcakes or baking cups start checking it at 15 minutes and determine how long it needs to cook.  If you are using 2 bread pans, you can probably go for about 40 minutes before checking it.  It is done when you can pull your tester (or knife) out clean.

You can serve it hot or wait for it to cool.  If you serve it hot it will be a little extra crumbly.  I usually store mine in the fridge, it will be good for about a week or so - if it lasts that long!  You can also freeze it if you want to make it ahead of time, just take it out the night before you serve it.

Enjoy!  

Update:  Oops - I forgot to add the link to the original recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...