Monday, January 26, 2015

Shredded Chicken Pot Roast

Yes, technically, this is not really a 'Pot Roast', but I couldn't think of anything better to call it!
Due to some recent changes in our eating habits, I have been attempting to make meals without any butter or oil.  Yeah, it doesn't sound very yummy to me either - that's what makes it a challenge!!  While Eric would be happy with the same meal every night - I am not!  So to find a good cooking alternative to butter and oil, I have started using chicken and vegetable broth.  So far it has been working pretty well, a little in the pan helps release the food from sticking and it adds flavor without adding fat.  This is the first potato dish I have tried without oil or butter, so I was a little nervous.  Eric said he wasn't really sure about it but after trying it he changed his mind and said it was the best thing I've made recently!  (To be honest I'm not sure if that means it was awesome or the rest of what I've made was not so great) I kind of just made this up as I went, but I can think of lots of ways to change it...

Ingredients:
1 chicken breast
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped/cubed
3-4 cups of broth, chicken or vegetable (I used both)
Seasonings, to taste - I used powdered garlic, powdered onion, thyme and pepper (plus, the broth I use has a slight rosemary flavor)

Started by cutting the chicken breast into smaller pieces so it will cook a little faster, then coat the pieces with the seasonings of your choice.  Heat a large pan on the stove, add 1 cup of broth and the chicken.  Cook on medium high until the chicken is cooked through, adding stock if needed.  Pull the chicken out of the pan and add the veggies and additional seasonings.  Add enough stock to almost cover the veggies and stir well.  Shred the chicken and return to the pan, mixing it in.  Cook until the potatoes are tender and the stock is mostly gone.  Cover the pan if you want to cook it a little longer without losing moisture.  It takes about 30 minutes or so.  This feeds two people - depending on how much you eat and how hungry you are :)

This ended up being very tasty and filling.  I think I want to try adding some minced garlic, red wine or balsamic vinegar and maybe some different veggies in the future.  I also think it would be good if you had precooked chicken already made - it would eliminate some of the prep work and cooking time, which would be great for weekday meals.

Have a great day!
Beth
      





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...