Thursday, January 29, 2015

Italian Chicken with Tomatoes

This got a thumbs up from Eric, and since I picked it for him that was great!!  The first time I made it, he ate it for dinner two nights and then for lunch the next two days after that!!  Then he requested that I make it for his lunches this week.  I am glad he liked it so much!  Sadly, I'm not in love with it.  Partly I think because it was sweet to me - Eric added salt and said he really liked it (but then it was just sweet and salty to me - I think I'm just not a tomato person unless it is on pizza lol) and there were like 10 Red Pepper Flakes (really - I only put a dash in instead of 1/4 tsp the original recipe used and it was still too spicy for me :/ ).  I am glad that I found something I can make and use for several meals - in the future I plan to seperate it into freezer meals that Eric can just put into the oven and reheat. 
Originally, this recipe is for a slow cooker but I just stuck it in the oven instead.  Also, I added the pasta after cooking it al dente because that is how Eric likes it, but you can serve it over the pasta instead if you prefer (it might have made a prettier picture lol)...

Ingredients:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drain it if you want a thicker sauce
1/2 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce, add the whole can for a thicker sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar the first time - so use what you like)
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a mix of basil, rosemary, oregano, marjoram and thyme)
A pinch/dash of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1 (13-15 oz.) box of pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or small chunks of fresh mozzarella, optional
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley or basil, chopped, optional

Place chicken in casserole dish.  Combine remaining ingredients and seasonings - except the mozzarella, pasta and fresh herbs - and pour over the chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 45 min.  Remove chicken and shred.  Return to the dish and add the cooked pasta if desired and cook for an additional 15-20 min.  Remove from the oven and stir in the mozzarella and sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil, if desired.

I got this recipe from here - and can I just say I hope to someday make both my food and pictures look as good as they do on her blog!! Serious picture envy :)

Have a great day!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...