Friday, January 2, 2015

Amazing Mexican Red Rice



One of my husbands favorite meals is fajitas. I change up what I serve with it, from rice and beans to guacamole and chips. I had been buying boxed flavored rice for awhile and was not impressed. I have made some recipes and they just didn't turn out like this one.

I know a fantastic step is to sauté the rice before you add the liquids. Did I do it? Nope! I was too excited and just started dumping my liquids in. It was still good. I didn't have any chicken broth so I used water, which is still delicious. I'm so curious to try out chicken broth though, I can't wait until next time.

Recipe

1 hothouse tomato (2 plum tomatoes were recommended but I had the other) chopped
2 Tablespoon oil
1 cup onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 cup long grain white rice
1 3/4 cup of water, chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/4 cup tomato sauce*
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste.

* This explains why it tasted a little bit like pasta sauce hahaha I added a whole can of tomato sauce and I just looked at the original recipe and it says 1/4 cup. Oh my that's funny!


In a 3 quart pot heat oil at medium heat. Add onion and let cook until translucent about 2-3 minutes. Add minced garlic and rice sauté for about 3 minutes until slightly toasted. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth or which ever liquid you choose and seasonings. Bring to a boil and reduced heat to medium low or low, put a lid on and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit covered for 8 minutes.

My kiddo loved this, it reminded him of spaghetti, now I know why! I will remake this with less sauce and with chicken broth. Also if you like cilantro you can add 1/2 cup fresh when you add the tomatoes in.

I hope you enjoy this as we did! Have a great weekend!

**Update
I remade this. This time I used a half can of fire roasted tomatoes, I didn't have fresh. I also am updating above in the directions. I didn't say when to put in the spices.

Here's what it should look like!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...