Thursday, January 15, 2015

Salmon Chowder

I'm back again and I brought another soup with me. I am still having a really hard time with my illnesses, but I miss the blog and all of you, so I am going to come back once a week.

We have been doing a 31 Day Zero Spending (besides a very short list) Challenge with some friends, so I have been trying to use items in my cupboards. This chowder really has an amazing flavor and my husband (the non-soup guy) says this is his favorite one yet. He keeps saying that with each new soup, so I might make a soup lover out of him yet.

Ingredients:
1 stick of butter cut in half
1/2 of a large onion finely chopped
3 carrot sticks finely chopped
4 celery stocks finely chopped
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 medium potatoes cut into small cubes
6 cups chicken stock (I made my own in the crock pot)
3 tablespoons or more of dried dill
2 teaspoons of ground fennel
1 teaspoon of ground Rosemary
1 teaspoon of sage
1 can cream corn
1 can corn (I rinsed mine)
1 can evaporated milk
2 14.5 cans of salmon, you will want to take the bones out and crumble it a little.
The liquid from 1 can of salmon
2 cups shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to feast

Optional:
Sourdough or french bread
Cheese to top

Directions:
In a big pot melt 1/2 the stick of butter, then add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.  (For the best results, use a chopper or Ninja to get the ingredients finely chopped) 

Add the chicken stock, potatoes, spices and bring to a boil.

Once it starts to boil place a lid on the pot, turn the stove to low and cook for about 30 minutes.

Pour in the evaporated milk, then add both corns, salmon, salmon liquid, the other 1/2 of the stick of butter and cheese stiring between each one.

Simmer for about 20 more minutes.

This recipe makes a lot of soup, we ate it for a few meals and froze a bag for later.  Unfortunately, the frozen soup was not very good after it was reheated so enjoy it fresh if you can.
 
Enjoy
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...