Thursday, March 12, 2015

Quick Update on My Front Flower Beds


This little guy is a rogue - I have no idea where it came from, but I am so happy to see signs that Spring is almost here.  To prepare, I have finally gotten my front beds cleared out and ready for new plants and bark.  I was pleasantly surprised by how much has already started to grow, so I thought I would share!

Hellebore
Peony 



Rosemary     
Flowering Almond Bush
Those are all the plants that I was happy I didn't kill for another year - LOL.  I'm still amazed every year that the Flowering Almond comes back - it looks so sad and bare, and then all of a sudden the little buds come out.  It is one of my favorites - so I decided to replace the roses with two more of the Flowering Almond Bushes.  I love roses - but the side of the house they are on does not get enough sunlight.  I think I will try again on the other side - it gets lots of light and hopefully will be easier to grow them there.

Here's a view of one side of the house - This side has the Flowering Almond Bush, the Rosemary (two survived from four plants) and the Peonies (there are about 6, but not all of them have come up yet - fingers crossed).  There are also a bunch of Daylilies, which all originated from 2 original ones my mom gave me, and a hand full of other plants that will come out later in the Spring.  It also has this big bush/small tree - which I have no idea what it is - but I spent some time trimming it since the branches were hanging almost to the ground.  It looks a lot better, but still needs some more trimming...


I had to stop when I noticed this in the branches - I'm not sure what kind of nest it is, but it looks like a birds nest.  However, considering that there are always bees on this side of the house (and I had one buzzing around me the whole time I was weeding) I didn't want to take a chance.  I figured I would wait until Eric was home so he could take me to the hospital if I made them angry :)


The front bed has Shasta Daisies, Lupines, and some Carnations that have already started growing.  There are also some Peonies just coming up - with Dahlias and Gladioli coming up soon!!

I have three Lilacs growing and they are all budding!  This year I have to start cutting 1/3 of the plant back, and I am super nervous about it!!


I already have more Peonies, Gladioli, and Dahlias to add this weekend - as well as some Astilbe plants for under the tree/bush.

 I also wanted to share a picture of the single Daffodil that grows under the Weeping Japanese Maple - it just looks so sweet!!  I might have to add some more this Fall!!


 Have a great day!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...