Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes...Comfort Food



A slight update to last week ending in our surprise get away. We don't know exactly what we have/had it could be food poisoning or the Flu. None of us really have eaten much, if we did it was light fare and slightly bland. It was terrible! So now that I'm back to normal I have looked forward to enjoying the smell and thought of food. Last night I made pork chops. I really wanted to have some potatoes that were not mashed something with a bit more substance. 

I had two ideas pop into my head yesterday, scalloped potatoes and pork chops. I hoped they would pair well together. Honestly I think scalloped potatoes would pear well with anything. It's no secret I like potatoes. There is something about this recipe that makes them feel not so heavy.

I found this recipe here, I just swapped out the cheese with what was available. By all means if you have their cheese use it, it's amazing. It's worth it! I used a semi-hard cheddar cheese.

The pork chop recipe has been in the family on my husbands side for awhile. His sister gave me the recipe. It was one of the recipes, you start with this and then you can add some of this or not, then add some of this and then let it simmer. I usually don't remember recipes, but she walked me through everything and I did have to call her once because I hadn't made it in awhile and I forgot.

I won't do that to you, I will give you the exact amounts. This is one of the recipes that you can change things out and it will still be excellent!

Let's finally get started!

Pre heat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a small baking pan, such as an 8 by 8, with butter.

Recipe for scalloped potatoes:

2 lbs golden potatoes, about 5-7
1  cup whipping cream, heavy is just fine too
1/3 cup milk
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed, you will pull this out later.
1 teaspoon Salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup of shredded semi hard cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Peel and slice the potatoes thin, using a mandolin. Lay the slices out flat on paper towels and cover with paper towels to absorb the starches.

In a small pot heat cream, milk, garlic, salt and pepper until the edges begin to boil. Remove garlic clove. In your prepared pan layer half the potatoes on the bottom, pour half the milk mixture and sprinkle with half the cheeses, finish the remaining layers. Bake for 60-80 minutes.

Recipe for pork chops:

1 tablespoon Sunflower seed oil
3 tablespoons butter
4-6 thin pork chops
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (there are wonderful recipes to make this from scratch)
1 can of golden mushrooms
1 small half onion diced onion
6 mushrooms sliced
1 cup milk
Salt, pepper and garlic powder (I have grinders and I used a few turns on the pork and about 4 turns on the liquid, garlic powder can be over powering and I sprinkle lightly)

In a large pot heat oil and butter at medium heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms until soften. Push to the side or remove onions and mushrooms if you want to fit all of the pork chops at once. I just pushed the veggies aside and browned 2 pork chops at a time.

Before you put the pork in, sprinkle one side with salt, pepper and garlic, put that side down and do the same with the tops. Searing them should take about 2 minutes on each side, then take them out and set on a plate.

Place veggies back if you removed them, add soups, milk and season again, I just smelled and added what I thought it needed. Add the pork chops back in and reduce the heat to low and cover. I checked the internal temp after about 30 minutes and I got to 145 degrees Fahrenheit so they were perfect.

My husband and I thought we were eating a holiday meal. It was so nice to eat a real meal after our hectic week.

I hope you enjoy these recipes and give them a try.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...