Monday, March 23, 2015

Making Banana Chips


One of the things I have been wanting to focus on is drying my own food.  Hopefully in a few years I will be able to dry the fruit that I grow,  but for now I have been experimenting with drying the fruit I get at the store.   I started by drying kiwi, which worked but still has some kinks to work out (I will share as soon as I figure it out).  Banana chips are the second thing I tried to dry - with much more success!!  I tried doing them for different ways: plain, with lemon water,  with honey and lemon water and (finally) with maple syrup and cinnamon with lemon water.  All of them are really good!!  I read a lot of different people used the lemon water to keep them from browning while drying - I did not notice a difference between the ones I left plain and the ones I used lemon water with.  As for measuring things - I didn't, I just added as much as i thought would work to the lemon juice (hint: there is no wrong amount)  Also, I didn't have lemon juice so I actually used a fizzy lemon water drink I had (no sugars or anything are added to it so it's pretty much the same thing but with bubbles lol).  The banana chips took about 6 hours to dry in my dehydrator.  Be aware that they wont get crunchy like the ones at the store - but they are healthier and very tasty!!  These were such a smashing success - Eric no longer wants to buy dried fruit but have me do it instead...oops lol I just added to my own work load!

I'm gonna start apple chips today, I'll post about how it goes soon!

Have a great day!
Beth  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...