Friday, June 6, 2014

Not Stouffer's...maybe it's me?


I really like macaroni and cheese, and I really, really like Stouffer's Mac and Cheese - especially the crispy edges! I was excited to try this recipe out. Mine did not turn out like theirs - it was good but it did not taste or bake up like Stouffer's. If you want a good mac and cheese recipe this is a great dish. The cheddar cheese soup acts like a recipe starter, you don't have to make a roux, so this comes together quickly. The sauce was a little gritty so I researched a little bit on this and I will give a little more directions in the recipe to help this not happen to you.

Here we go...

2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
1/2 stick of butter
1 can of cheddar cheese soup
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of mustard (I think I would leave this out next time, I think it takes away from the cheese flavor)
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 cup of milk

Cook pasta as instructed on package. If you want to bake the macaroni preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Melt butter in a large saucepan, I would have it at med low or low if you have a gas stove. Add cheddar soup and seasonings, heat for 1 minute. I dumped all the cheese at once, which throws off the temperature. You need to add the cheese by small handfuls and mix until melted, then keep adding until all of the cheese is incorporated. Slowly add the sour cream little by little. Again, add the milk slowly. By spoonfuls add the cooked pasta until all is incorporated. At this point it is ready to eat or you can pour into an 8 by 8 pan and bake for 20-30 min.

I hope that you try this out and let us know if you are successful with these instructions.  I got the recipe here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...