Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bug Free Zone...Please!!

Ever since I started walking and jogging after work I have been battling a problem - mosquitoes!  It is definitely not a new problem, but it is a bigger problem since I go out at night now.  Mosquitoes love me and it's easy to see!  I not only get the bite, but then a welt and a red area anywhere from the size of a dime to a quarter - they are itchy and hot for a week after!  Then, because I am awful about leaving them alone, I get scars for months afterwards (Eric once told me I looked like I had the plague after a particularly bad night with 10 new bites). No fun!

So, not only will I be applying sunscreen before every excursion (because, yes, I do burn when it is 7pm and overcast), but I will be applying bug spray as well.  I am not a big fan of the commercial bug spray's that use DEET, so I looked online and found this recipe for making your own.  There are ton of different mixes, but this one was simple and I can always add things if it doesn't quite do the trick.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will post an update after using it for awhile.

All Natural Bug Spray:

1/3 cup of Witch Hazel
1 ⁄2 teaspoon Lemongrass Oil
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon Eucalyptus Oil
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon Citronella Oil

Mix and use in a small spritzer/spray bottle.  Shake and apply as needed :)

Have a great day outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...