Monday, March 31, 2014

I got an Apple Tree!

I have been trying to convince Eric to plant an apple tree since we bought our house.  I wanted to have fresh apples, but he wasn't sure about the upkeep and all the apples falling on the ground.  Well, a few weeks ago I finally found a solution to our dilemma - Espalier Apple Trees!  I had no idea that this was even an option -I randomly ran across the idea one day when I was wandering my local hardware store's nursery.  So after about one day of thinking about it and researching it - I talked to Eric and convinced him to give it a try.  I ran right out and bought one - I was too excited to wait!



You can't see the wires but there are 3 wires running along the branches.  I attached the branches using velcro tape - that way I can change the loop size without a lot of fuss.  Also, I plan to beef up the wires and posts as the tree grows.  I don't know if it will get taller or not, so we thought it would be better to start out smaller. 

The other exciting thing about this tree (other than I got to buy an apple tree), is that it is 6 different types of apples: Fuji, Gala, Red McIntosh, Yellow Transparent, Gravenstein and Yellow Delicious.  I put the tags on the wire so they wouldn't hinder the tree growth, but I wanted to remember which types I was growing!


I am super excited about this tree (can you tell?).  It will only get about 4 feet tall, but will grow out to be around 10 feet wide.  This means I will be able to reach any apples that grow, without needing a ladder.  I plan to plant an additional apple tree and a pear tree next year.  I wanted to give this location a try before buying everything - I may end up having to move it next year if it doesn't do well.  The hardest part will be waiting - for the first 2 years I am supposed to pick any fruit that grows when it reaches about the size of a cherry!  So no apples for almost 3 years!!  In the long run it will be better because it forces the tree to concentrate on growing instead of producing.

Since I am trying to grow an organic garden, I also planted onions and garlic in the bed directly below.  here is an idea of how I want to place things:


The items that don't have a date below have not been planted yet.  I am going to spread out the garlic and onions so I can harvest them at seperate times.  The strawberries are kind of a pipe dream at this moment.  I am working hard to convince Eric that we can grow them there without having the critters get into them.  I am thinking I can create some kind of dome cover out of chicken wire that will help keep the critters out.  I may only grow a few plants this year - just to see how they do.   

If everything goes they way I want it to (haha), then I will have 3 beds similar to what is above.  This will work out to be 108 Onions, 108 Garlic bulbs, 144 Strawberry plants and a lot of chives. :)

Just in case anyone is wondering what a mature espalier apple tree can look like - check here, here or search for it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...