Friday, March 21, 2014

Planning for the Harvest...2 years from now


How I wish I had a root cellar, or even a basement to convert, but that wasn't even on our list when we started house shopping.  Three years later and it would be in the top 5 if I was to make a list now.  Well there isn't much I can do about the lack of a root celler, except learn how to preserve my future harvests other ways.  There are lots of ways to prolong the life of the fruit and vegetables you can grow: canning, freezing, drying, smoking - just to name the most obvious.  I will still need to figure out where I am going to store all of these items, but I do have a little time.  First I need to learn the best ways to preserve the items I want to grow, so I can figure out how much space I will need! 

To get me started, I found this great book.  I wasn't looking for it specifically, but once I started flipping the pages there was no way I was leaving the store without it.  I am really looking forward to trying out some of the options this year.  I plan to shop our local farmers market this year and use the items I buy there to test out what works for me.  It is every Saturday and is located 5 minutes from my house - how have I lived here for 3 years and still never made it!  (Well it is probably because I worked every other Saturday until recently - but still).  I am looking forward to sharing my success (or not) with preserving different foods this year! 

Happy Friday, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...