Thursday, March 20, 2014

Beef and Broccoli



One of the ongoing struggles I have with dinner is finding recipes for beef.  I love beef, and will eat it pretty much anyway I can get it - Eric, not so much.  We have worked out a pretty good system - I make beef once a week and he can choose if he wants to eat it.  Obviously I want him to eat what I make, so I rarely make things I know he wont enjoy without making other options for him.  There are exceptions of course - sometimes I really just want a hamburger! 

One of the recipes he will eat is Beef and Broccoli.  It's one of my favorites for two reasons: 1) It's tasty and better for you than other beef options and 2) It's really fast to throw together.  It takes around 15 minutes if you are really well organized, so it's great to have on a weeknight when you get home late from work.

Beef and Broccoli

3 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Mirin
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Cornstarch
2 Tbsp Peanut Oil
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
1 lb Beef Sirloin, cut into thin strips
3 cups chopped Broccoli
2 Tbsp chopped Green Onions

Mix together the soy sauce, mirin (or any white wine), brown sugar and cornstarch and set it aside.  Heat oil in large pan or wok, add the garlic and saute for 15-30 seconds until it starts to brown, then add the steak.  Stir-fry until beef is browned, then add the broccoli and green onions.  Continue stir-frying for around 3 minutes, add the sauce mixture and simmer until it thickens.  Serve hot over anything you want.

Printable Recipe
Some tips:
1)  If you want the broccoli to be softer, put a lid on it after adding the sauce mixture.
2)  I like to have this over rice, but noodles are yummy too.  Just remember to start them before you start the recipe - it really sucks to get this finished and realise you forgot to start the rice or it isn't ready yet so you have to wait.
3)  If you forget to add the cornstarch (like I did in the picture above, darn it) - no worries!  It still tastes great, the sauce just isn't as thick.  I actually like it better this way, but Eric prefers the thicker sauce.

I hope you enjoy it!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...