Wednesday, March 12, 2014

It felt like a stew day...

We have been having lot's of rain in our area. Twice now we have had one road flood going out of town. Whenever we have downpours I feel like making something warm and hearty. This is my go-to stew. I love slow cooking a big beef chuck roast, the results are tender and flavorful. 

I have to tell you a quick story! Every time I use Bay leaf I remember this time while I was making baked beans, that's a great recipe that I will have to share soon. I was super excited to serve my new recipe to my husband, he's the best guinea pig! I forgot to remove the bay leaf. Guess who chomped down on it? My poor husband! Every time I make something that has a Bay leaf, he tells me not to. I learned my lesson though and I won't make that mistake again, I hope!

Here's my Hearty Beef Stew!


 I usually make this recipe as I'm reading it, but for the blog I prepped everything and it went a lot smoother. Imagine that. I really need to start prepping before I make the recipe!

I cut about 6 slices of bacon into strips. My husband likes small pieces of the stew meat, this was almost 4 pounds of Beef chuck. 


2 Tablespoons of Butter and oil ( I used Sunflower oil) The tube on top is tomato paste, I used around 2 tablespoons of that as well.


 Three carrots diced, three celery diced, and 2 garlic minced.


Six tablespoons of minced onions ( you can diced a whole yellow onion if you have it)


I put the oil in my dutch oven and heated to medium. I added the sliced bacon. Once cooked, I removed the bacon. I think I'll use that for breakfast!


I added half of my chuck to brown, removed it then added the second half and removed it as well.


I added the carrot, celery, garlic and minced onion and let cook for around 5 minutes.


 I added the butter!


 When the butter melted I added the flour and let the flour mixture cook for a minute.


All of the veggies now have a coating of the buttery and flour goodness.


Slowly add 4 cups of beef broth 


 It will look like gravy!


Add tomato paste.


 Wonder what that foreign green thing is? It is a tea or herb infuser, I stuffed two Thyme sprigs and two rosemary sprigs and one bay leaf.  Add the beef back into the pot. 


I mean this in the nicest way...put a lid on it! Then into the oven it goes, at 325 F for 1 1/2 hours.


Here it is! It smells amazing and mouth watering. Remove your herbs and don't forget that bay leaf! I served it over smashed potatoes. I will be repurposing this recipe into pot pies.

Here's the recipe. 

3 pounds of boneless beef chuck cut to 1 1/2 cubes
6 slices of bacon (4 if using thick)
2 tablespoons of oil
1 yellow onion or if you don't have any substitute dry minced onion
3 carrots diced
3 celery diced
2 cloves of garlic minced or chopped However you like
2 Tablespoons of butter
6 Tablespoons of flour
4 Cups of Beef stock
2 Tablespoons of Tomato paste
FreshThyme and Rosemary. you can wrap up your bundle (2 sprigs each) with twine or mince 2 teaspoons each.
1 Bay leaf

Preheat your oven to 325 F

Heat dutch oven to medium heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove and use for another use or top stew with it when cooked. Cook beef cubes in two batches and remove from pan. Add oil and cook onions, carrots, celery and garlic until onion is translucent or about 5 minutes. Add butter and melt. Sprinkle with the flour and stir while cooking for about a minute. Slowly add beef broth then add tomato paste. Add herbs and meat back into the pot and cover with a lid and cook for 1 1/2 hours. 

I serve the stew over mashed potatoes. 

You can also add diced potatoes and cook for an additional 45 minutes to make it a one pot meal.

Enjoy!

This recipe was adapted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...