Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Strawberry Sorbet



I had a plan - it was a good plan for taking a fun picture of the sorbet I made last week - but then I went to take it...and I admit that I knew I should take it as soon as I finished making it, but I was tired and didn't want to...so now all I have to share is this small amount that was left in the container.  Luckily (for me), Eric has a habit of saving the last few bites for later or I would have been too late :) 

This is a spoonful of Strawberry Sorbet.  The funny thing is - Eric was sure he wouldn't like it because of the strawberries I used.  I bought a 1/2 flat of strawberries (about 6 pints, I think) from the Farmer's Market by my house.  I cut almost 2 quarts up and put a little sugar on them, then I put it in the fridge.  Usually Eric will eat them throughout the day as a snack, but when I asked him the next day if he liked the strawberries he said he thought they went bad bacause they were so dark (I will admit that they threw me off at first too but after trying them they were so yummy, and yes there were ones that were pretty far gone, but not anymore than I would expect from the store for ripe strawberries).  I tried to assure him they didn't go bad - they were just ripe from the farm not the fridge at the store.  No go.  Well, I knew they were fine so I decided to make the sorbet I had originally planned when I bought so many.  After I made it, I told him to at least try it before saying no - then he told me it was the best sorbet he'd ever had! Hahaha - I deserve a gold star for not saying I told you so...I might have said it quietly though :)

This is a super easy recipe - it just takes time so no instant gratification.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup water

2/3 cup sugar
2 lbs strawberries (I used the 4 pints I had left, so I don't know how much it weighed)
2 tbsp lemon juice

Add water and sugar to a small pot on low.  Stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and let cool, pour into a cool dish and place into the fridge.  While you wait, hull, puree and strain the strawberries (I used a food processor but I think a blender would work better).  Add the lemon juice to the strawberries and place in fridge as well.  Once the simple syrup is cooled completely, stir the two mixtures together.  Pour into a freezer safe container, cover and freeze for 3 or 4 hours (I had to wait until the next day).  Put it into the blender/food processor and puree one more time.  Re-freeze and enjoy!!
My 4 pints of strawberries made about 1 1/2 pints of sorbet.   I am excited to make a bunch of different types of sorbet - I can't wait for more fruit to appear at the farmer's market!!   The recipe is from here.   Enjoy! B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...