Tuesday, July 8, 2014

More Sorbet...can there be too much?


Blackberry Sorbet
  I know it seems silly to do another post about sorbet so quickly, but I couldn't resist.   Last week I bought raspberries and blackberries at the Farmers Market - and (as you might have guessed) made more sorbet.  I had 4 cups of each - the raspberries made a little over a pint, but the blackberries made over two pints!!  You might think we still have some left, but we ate it all already - and by we I mean Eric because I only had a few bites (I'm not a huge berry fan sadly but I keep try).

Making these took an extra step because I didn't add enough simple syrup to the pureed mixtures the first time - so I made more, remixed and froze it again.  I would definitely say taste it before you freeze it the first time and you can avoid this.  

So for each sorbet I used approximately the following - I would start at 1/2 cup and work you're way up to the sweetness you prefer - Eric likes it sweet (I'd make some joke about me being sweet but we know that's not true so we'll just move on).

4 cups raspberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup simple syrup

4 cups blackberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 cup simple syrup

Make the simple syrup with equal parts sugar and water, heat on low and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and cool.  Puree and strain the fruit, add the lemon juice and put it in the fridge until simple syrup is cooled completely.  Combine until the correct sweetness is reached.   Freeze until solid, puree again and freeze again.

I want to try changing the simple syrup to a 2-1 ratio so there is more water than sugar - I think it will help add volume without adding more sugar.  Eric says it's perfect the way it is, but it is a little pricey at around $5 a pint.  

I'm sure I'll have more sorbet soon - I bought Bing and Rainier cherries today, as well as apricots.  Fingers - crossed they will turn into tasty sorbet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...