Tuesday, July 15, 2014

An Egg Baked in an Avocado


If you are on Pinterest or Facebook chances are you have seen this at least once over the last year. After seeing this pop up over 100 times, I finally decided to make it. I started by preheating the oven to 425 degrees with a cast iron skillet in it. I used the pan with ridges because I thought they might help hold the avocado upright, but I think it would be fine in a flat bottom one too.
While the pan heated up in the preheating oven, I cut the avocado in half and got rid of the seed. When the oven was ready I took the pan out (don't forget the oven mitt.... Ouch), set the 2 avocado halves in and cracked 1 egg in each. I would do this part differently next time - I think some of the avocado should be scooped out to make the hole a little bigger. When I put the eggs in half of the white ran out, you can see it on the side. If you would like your yoke runny I would cook it for 10-15 min, if you want the yoke done all the way through cook it for 20-25 min. The one in the photo is cooked all the way through.

I made whole wheat toast to go with it. I used the egg and avocado as a spread for it. I thought it was good, but not as amazing as every one claims. Try it for yourself and decide.

Enjoy
J

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Super delish with some pico de gallo or sour cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...