Friday, May 23, 2014

Roast Beef Sandwiches..Yes Please


Oh my does it smell good in my house. I made a slow cooker roast beef. Using a 4 pound roast and 6 cups of water it sure does make a lot of meat and Au Jus. I will have to seal it in bags and freeze the extra. I remember my mom making the most delicious roast beef sandwiches. She would get the packets of Au Jus and roast beef from the deli. She would toast the hoagie buns with butter then make the sauce and when she was ready to assemble she would drop the roast beef in the sauce and then right back out and onto the toasted bun. She would serve it with Au Jus and cole slaw. It was so delicious. I think if I asked my mother for every tasty recipe she's made for me I would probably have a cookbook! But of course - they are all in her head. I'm slowly getting them out of her. She's still making great things! I could go on and on. Let's get back to the recipe. Like I said it's made in a slow cooker so it's super easy to make.

I got the recipe from here.

4 pounds of beef roast (I went for marbled roast, I like the flavor it gives.)
3 bay leaves
2 sprigs of rosemary (or 1 tablespoon of dried)
1 sweet onion quartered
1 tablespoon of minced garlic (I used freeze dried, worked great)
1 cup of soy sauce
6 cups of water

Place your roast in the slow cooker. Bundle with twine or if you have an infuser like this (I use it in my beef stew too) you can stuff your bay leaf and rosemary in this and put it next to the roast. Next add onion, garlic, soy sauce and water. Set your slow cooker for slow 8-10 hours.

When it's done cooking pull the meat out and shred. Discard the herbs and onions and strain the Au Jus. We like toasted rolls. I have toasted grilled cheese with mayonnaise on the outside before so I thought I would try that here. It's so tasty! I top the rolls with the shredded meat and drizzled a little of the Au Jus on top. I served it with salad. The link above suggest peppers and cheese. I'm positive that would be tasty. I might do that with the leftovers. This time I needed some memory comfort food.

I sure hope you like it as much we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...