Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Homemade Pancake Syrup



I keep forgetting to buy our favorite pancake syrup, so I have been putting butter and jam on pancakes and french toast. It's really good, but I sure do love my pancake syrup! For the longest time I was using Mrs. Butterworth's - I knew it wasn't very good for us so I switched to Real Maple Syrup. I really didn't like it, I felt like I was licking a sweet tree! I finally found plain ol' pancake syrup at Trader Joe's and it is so good! However, I have shopped there a couple times and still forgot to pick some up. I thought surely there would be a recipe - so I went on a search and there are so many kinds. I like simple (not just because it's easy, but because I like the flavor of simple). When you throw too many flavors in, you forget what you're eating. This recipe is as simple as it gets.

Recipe:
1 cup of water
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of brown sugar (I used dark, yum)

Flavor:
1 1/2-2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of maple flavor extract (this is so good) optional

That's it!

Put the sugar and water in a sauce pan, stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Take the mixture off immediately, or it will crystallize later on.*. Whisk to add flavor(s) and let cool. Store on shelf.

*You will have to heat it up every time you want some to break up the sugar crystals. Warm syrup sounds great but sometimes we just don't have time!

You can play with the flavors. Next time I think I'm going to swap out the flavor amounts. I really like the maple flavoring. Isn't that funny! I love maple ice cream and maple baked goods but not actual maple syrup!

I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...