Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Cookies


This weekend Eric asked me to make cookies but I was having a hard time deciding which kind to make.  Then I remembered these yummy apple cinnamon ones we get from the store sometimes and decided to try to recreate them.  After looking around online I ran across this recipe.  It was close but I wanted pieces of apple, not shredded apple.  I was worried that if I used chunks of apple they wouldn't have time to soften before the cookie was done.  Eric actually came up with the solution - baking the apples before I put them in the cookie batter.  Well, I have to say the cookies were delicious (you know there aren't any left, right?) - but they do take a little extra time and planning.  Well worth it in my opinion, but I think these would be great for freezer cookies so I can have them anytime (not just when I have an hour to make them).


Soft Apple Cinnamon Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2-2 cups cubed apples, small pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp butter

1/2 cup butter, salted or unsalted
1 1/3 cup brown sugar (you can also use half brown and half white sugar)
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp bakind soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon

For the apples:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine cubed apples and 1 tsp cinnamon in a baking dish, coating all of the pieces.  Divide the teaspoon of butter into 4 pieces and place on top of the apples.  Bake for a few minutes and stir to combine the butter and apples.  Continue baking for about 20 min, stirring frequently, until apples are tender but not too soft.  Remove from the oven and let cool.

For the cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugar in a mixer.  Add the eggs and continue to beat until the batter is uniform.  In a seperate bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon.  Add the dry ingredients to mixer, mix until combined.  Add the apples and gently incorporate.

Place dough on parchment paper, using a large cookie scoop.  If you do not have a large scoop, you can form large balls and gently press to flatten slightly.  Bake for 8-10 min, until lighly golden brown.  Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack (I just move the whole piece of parchment to the wire rack).  I got 18 cookies from this recipe, but I wanted larger cookies.

Eric really liked these cookies, but he said he would like something more like a Snickerdoodle next time.  I will try that out sometime, but I have to stop making treats or I am never going to lose weight!! Lol :)


  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...