Friday, September 5, 2014

Twice Glazed Pumpkin Scones



Our weather turned on us just at the end of August. So I pinned a bunch of soups and scones. Now it's warming back up and it sounds like it will stay that way throughout the weekend. I'm conflicted, I want fall recipes but pineapple or coconut sounds refreshing. I had planned for this scone so I went for it. I might just make a fruity drink for later this afternoon since it's getting hotter as well.

I have gained some confidence in my baking. I have read a wonderful new pie book and she gave some helpful tips on dough making that I applied to my scones. It worked really well.

I normally make my scones big, so with out thinking I did the same thing. The recipe I have has you roll them out, you get more pieces and there's more surface for the glazes. Oh darn I will need to make more now!

Turn your oven on at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and get out a half sheet pan.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, 1 stick, cold, cut up into cubes
1/2 cup pumpkin purée
3 tablespoon milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 teaspoon vanilla


In a big bowl, add flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt, stir until combined. Add cubed butter and mix in with your hands or pastry blender until you have mostly small bits of butter. In a small bowl add, pumpkin, milk, egg and vanilla. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture and mix until a soft dough forms. Flour a work space and flour your hands. Knead the dough 3 to 4 times. Dived the dough into two pieces and shape each into a ball. Cut each in half and then half again, you should have 4 scones in each ball. Put scones onto baking sheet spacing them out evenly. Bake for 18-24 min. If you follow the other directions they cook a lot faster another reason to make them that way.

Glaze recipes

In a small bowl mix 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 tablespoon of milk adding more milk if it's not runny enough, you want a nice steady stream when you put a spoon in then pull it out.

In a small bowl mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, and 2 tablespoon milk. I added more milk, in fact I added too much it was still delicious!

When the scones are done, I let them sit for about 10 minutes before adding the glaze.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...