Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Turn on the Light

We had a very productive weekend, but one of my favorite projects that we did was replacing our entry light.  This has been on the To-Do list since we moved in almost 3 years ago - but always seemed to get pushed to the bottom of the list.  At first it was just ugly - which I can live with for a while as long as it works well.  However, over the last 4 months this light has stopped working well.  We have had to replace the light bulb at least once a month - and the last time it was less than 2 weeks.  Not Good.  So we decided it was time to get it done - now it is a safety issue, not just a looks issue.


The light on the right was our old light (hopefully that was obvious, but just in case).  It was brass/gold at some point, but it was definitely not looking so hot anymore.  We found the one on the left at Home Depot, which is probably my second home at this point - we go there at least every other weekend.  I found a ton of lights online that I loved - but most were in the $200-$300 range, which is more than I want to spend at this moment.  Some day I would love to get a whole set for the entry and garage doors that are metal and LED and will bulk up the entry one to 3 or 4 times the current size, but that's even more out of the budget.  So, we decided we liked this enough to use it for a few years while we save up and get a really fancy set some time down the road.  At around $54 it was way more budget friendly, so we were able to get an LED light bulb and a new timer switch and keep it under $90.























We were lucky that the rain and wind stopped for about a few hours on Monday so we could get the lights changed out, but it was so worth dropping everything else and running outside to get it done.  Which is why my pictures are a little worse than usual (not that I usually have very good pictures) - I was trying to take pictures and help before the rain came back.  Also, I realised that I wasn't going to be able to get a shot of the light on since Eric was still working on changing out the light switch and it was almost dark  So I grabbed the really blurry one below - of course I didn't know it was blurry until it was too late - so sorry about that!!  I really just wanted to show how we went from a regular bulb that looks yellow, to a new LED bulb that looks white and is supposed to last 10 years - let's hope it really does!
 

So a small change - really, it took less than an hour - made a big difference, and it was so satisfying to check it off as done.  Anyone else make a change that took forever to get to, but was done in minutes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...