Friday, February 21, 2014

Born in the wrong region...

I'm beginning to think I was born in the wrong region. I really like southern food. This is was one of my first cookbook's that I bought. 


It has so many recipes that are traditional southern fare. I'm going to share my favorite recipe from this book. 

"Virginia's Vidalia Onion Dip"

These simple ingredients turn into a creamy dip. I like to make it the traditional way, but I thought I would spice it up a bit and to my surprise it's delicious too!

Here are the traditional ingredients:

2 Vidalia sweet onions (or any sweet onions)
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of mayonnaise 

Since I would be the only one eating it I made a small amount.

I diced up a half of a sweet onion and put it in a small bowl


Then I sprinkled paprika and garlic and pepper blend seasoning. You can add whatever spices you really like here. If you make a big batch I would suggest measuring maybe a 1/2-1 teaspoon depending on taste. I was just thinking a little hot spice or sauce would give it a nice kick.

Add a spoonful of mayonnaise just to wet the onions


Then finely grate parmesan cheese and stir everything together.

Put into a small baking dish


Bake at 350 F until bubbly. I baked for about 30 min. I would put it in for 25 and then start checking on it every 10 min or so. 

Here it is after 25 min. I heard bubbling and I thought it was done but the onions still had a bit of crunch. So I put it back in at 12 more min. 


Here it is and it's perfect


I really like dips. I think I would eat appetizers all day long if I could. My favorite kinds are hot and bubbly. 

Well I hope you enjoy this recipe, let us know how it turned out or what works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...