Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Muffin time

I think I found the perfect muffin recipe!

I made these beautiful muffins today while my son and I stayed home after school.

They are not stiff, this is a huge accomplishment for me. I consider myself a baker. Muffins how ever are difficult for me, as are scones. I like to over mix. I have been working on "incorporating" and not "beating."

I decided to try this recipe because I have bananas that were ready to be used.  I also wanted to make something good for a breakfast treat.

When I find recipes that call for brown sugar, I always use dark. Dark brown sugar adds a caramel taste to my baked goods. I switched to dark brown sugar in my Christmas Banana breads about 4 or 5 years back and it really kicked it up a notch. When you try these out if you have light brown sugar in your cupboard by all means use it. If you want to make some with out having to buy a whole bag, it's 1 cup granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses.

So here's the recipe


In a large bowl add 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter and 3 very ripe bananas.


Mash the bananas and butter together


Yum! It already smells good! Turn your oven on to 350 F


Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of light or dark brown sugar. I used dark here


add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 2 teaspoon of baking powder


Add 3/4 cup of quick oats and 1 1/2 cups of flour and fold all together


This is what it looks like incorporated, I folded in 1 cup (I weighed 4oz) of mini dark chocolate chunks, you can also finely chop a dark chocolate baking bar. Which looks amazing in the batter. I'm lazy and I just used already formed chocolate pieces. I think mini morsels would look great too.

I forgot to take a picture after I folded in the chocolate. You can see what it looks like in the baking cups below.


I read once that if you want bakery looking muffins fill with batter to the top of the muffin pan or cups.

After you fill the cups bake in oven for 20 minutes. I started watching the muffins at 9 min, the originally recipe was for mini muffins so large muffins take a bit longer. By the end it took about 20 min. you can probably safely start watching at about 15 min and add from there if needed, you want the edges to be brown.


These look amazing. I wonder if they taste good...

When I took these out and let them rest for about 5 min and then placed one a plate. My son shouted "it's muffin time"


I always add a bit of butter to my muffins before eating them, right down the middle. Oh my they were delicious! My son asked for more, my son is not a picky eater but I like to think he knows quality food.  He fell asleep right afterwards, poor guy is not feeling well.

The chocolate is not overpowering in this recipe, it compliments the banana wonderfully. I really like the oats in here, it add a hearty texture instead of a soft texture like banana bread.

I hope you enjoy this recipe, I found and adapted the recipe from here which is from you guessed it...Pinterest.

Here's the ingredients and instructions all in one spot.

Preheat oven 350 F prepare muffin pan with baking spray or baking cups

1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup of light or dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspoon of baking powder
3/4 cup of quick oats
1 1/2 cups of flour
4 oz (1 cup) dark chocolate chunks or finely chopped from a bar

Mash butter and bananas well in a large bowl.  Add sugar and eggs, mix well. Fold in salt, baking soda, baking powder, oats, and flour. Then gently fold in chocolate. Scoop into baking pan and bake for about 20 min.

For me it made 12 muffins.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...