Thursday, February 20, 2014

They call me...Snickerdoodle Apple Pie




What it really is - Apple Cobbler!  I made it one night and Eric thought it should be called Snickerdoodle Apple Pie - so that's what we call it now. 

This recipe was super easy to throw together at the last minute.  The hardest part is waiting for it to cook since it takes about 45 min to 1 hour.  I didn't have enough apples to make a full size 9x9 baking dish, so I pulled out my 6" Longeberger pie plates.  They worked great - I had about 1 1/2 apples per dish, which was good but I think I would use 2 apples per dish if I had enough.  The cobbler portion was thicker than a typical cobbler because the dishes were so much smaller than the original, but I actually liked it a lot.  It was kind of like eating an upside down cake - but it tasted just like snickerdoodle cookies!  



Recipe:

     Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (enough to half-fill a 9x9 baking dish)
     2 tsp. vanilla (divided)
     1 1/2 cup sugar (divided)
     1/2 tsp. cinnamon
     2/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
     1 egg
     1 cup flour
     1/4 tsp. baking powder
     Pinch of salt
     1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the 2/3 cup of butter and let cool before you start (I always forget to do this then I have to wait for it to cool halfway through the recipe so I thought I'd help you out).

Butter the pan you will be using.  Slice your apples and fill the pan about halfway.  Sprinkle 1 tsp of vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon onto apple slices. Mix to coat the apples as evenly as possible (it always clumps up but no worries it still tastes great). 

Combine the melted butter, egg, 1 tsp vanilla, cup of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix until smooth.  Add the nuts (it's optional so I usually don't).  Pour the batter over the apple slices.

Bake 45 min to 1 hour, depending on the size of your pan. 

I accidentally overcooked the ones in the pictures, but Eric thought it was better that way since they were crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside.  I made two so we had one that night and the second the next night.  Eric actually thought it was even better cold from the refrigerator and has requested I make them the night before his birthday so he can eat it cold for his birthday - he cracks me up : )

I got this recipe from searching on the internet and looking for something I had all the ingredients for.  This one seemed like the easiest and had the least amount of ingredients.  I would have to agree that it is the Best Apple Cobbler Ever.


So, did anyone get my Ron White reference in the title??  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...