Friday, October 10, 2014

Taco Soup


Hello wonderful readers! Did you miss me, because I have missed all of you! I have not been around for awhile due to health reasons, but today seems like a good day to hijack Beth's post day. :)

I am so excited that Fall is finally here! I love Fall for so many reasons: the leaves, pumpkins, apples and the crisp air are a few. As it gets colder we start to seek food to warm us, so the other night I made Taco Soup. I have had it in the past, when a good friend use to make it for me, but I had never made it myself. I was feeling really sick and Taco Soup was the only thing I wanted to eat (I know random right?!). So I went on Pinterest found a recipe, changed it up (because I can never leave a recipe alone lol) and in about 35 minutes dinner was done. This soup is very tasty and as a bonus your house will smell amazing!  

Here is what you need:

Olive oil
1lb ground meat  (I used beef, but I think this would be good meatless too)
1 large onion chopped
A few cloves garlic chopped
2 (14.5oz) cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes 
1 1/2 (15oz) cans of tomato sauce (I used a 15oz can and a small 7.5oz can)
1 can of corn, drained and rinsed  (I am sure I have said this before, but I always rinse all canned veggies, it helps reduce the sodium)  
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 pack of taco seasoning (I used two tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning)
Cheese, sour cream and avocado chunks for optional toppings 

Here is how you make it:

I used a French Oven, but you could also use a big pot.

Brown the meat and then drain it. I did this step in the French Oven and then removed the meat to drain it while I started the onion and garlic.
Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 min, stirring a few times. Add the meat in and then everything else. Cook on low with a lid for 20 min or more, stirring occasionally.

Ladle into bowls, add toppings and enjoy!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...