Monday, August 18, 2014

Cherry, Cherry Baby


I don't know if I have said this before but I love maraschino cherries. This recipe I made is a little different then the cake that I make. These are cherry cake bars. I was worried what it would look like baking in a 9 by 13. It didn't rise much and it turned out perfect! The recipe I found came with a frosting recipe that called for powdered sugar, I ran out. I found another recipe where you thicken milk with flour and heat. Then add that to beaten butter, sugar and vanilla. I have never made a frosting like that, I will make this again of course with out the cherry juice.

This recipe looks hard but it really isn't.

Cherry cake bars

1 10oz jar of maraschino cherries, drained save juice for frosting
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, grease a 9 by 13 pan.

Cut cherries in half or more if you would like. I did half and it's nice to have big chunks of cherries to bite into. Set aside.

In a small bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a medium pan add butter and whipping cream, heat to med high, stirring until just about a boil, remove from heat. Add the extract flavors, then sour cream, whisk the egg just a little add a little of the warm mixture to the egg to help warm it up before adding to the whole pan. Fold in the chopped cherries.

Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the bars cool.

Cherry frosting

2 tablespoon sugar
Reserved cherry juice
Milk
2 sticks of butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small pan add 2 tablespoon of flour, measure cherry juice in a measuring cup, add milk to measure 1 cup. Heat until thickens and boils. Take off heat.

In a medium bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. I also checked to see if I could feel the sugar grit, kept beating until it was smooth. Add cooled thicken milk mixture until blended well.

Frost the bars and cut into small squares.

I hope you enjoy this!

I got the cake bar here and the frosting here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...