Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Eating Healthy...or Else


I have always struggled with my eating habits - too much fat, too many carbs and sugars, not enough veggies...over the last few years I have tried again and again to change my eating habits.  Sometimes I succeed in changing a small thing here or there (like not drinking soda), but never enough to be considered 'healthy eating'.  Now, I don't have a choice.  At my last check-up I found out that my blood pressure is starting to get a little high.  After monitoring it for a few weeks, it seems to be staying a little higher than it should be.  So now I have 2 options - really get serious about changing what I eat on a regular basis or go on medicine.  I would really like to avoid the meds, so I talked with my doctor.  We decided that I would take two months to try to get my BP down through diet and exercise, and if I'm not able to then I would go on the meds with the intention of continuing to work to get off of them.  Then I got sick lol so that was postponed for a few weeks, but now I have no excuses.  Since I want something maintainable I decided not to do a 'diet', but instead start adding more veggies into my regular meals and using fruit as a snack first  - hopefully that will help me from snacking on the less healthy stuff too much!  I have also switched my bread to a whole grain option, changed to unsalted butter and have limited the amount of 'junk food' I have access to.  Hopefully these changes will be enough to make an impact.
I have also started doing the P90x workout program.  I was doing Insanity and I made it about 40 days into it (it's a 60 day program), but when I got sick I stopped working out.  I workout with my neighbor and since they were sick as well, we decided it would be better to start over on a new program than trying to go back into the end of Insanity.  I've done the P90x workout before and made it to 45 days (out of 90) - so I am hopeful I will be able to do this for the next few months.

Has anyone else been able to make enough changes to get off of blood pressure medicine?  I would love to know what you did!!

Have a great day!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...