Monday, June 15, 2015

Easy Breakfast Bars


After making graham crackers a few weeks ago, I started thinking about what else I could make with the oh-so-delicious dough.  The first thing I came up with was breakfast bars - I love how fast and easy it is to grab a bar and eat it in the morning!  It might seem weird that I need a fast breakfast since I stay home, but usually by the time I'm done getting Eric's breakfast and lunch done I am hurting enough to just want something I can eat on the way back to bed...yes, I go back to bed lol.  Usually I just read but on really bad mornings (or after a night that I couldn't sleep) I will nap for an hour or so.  Then I get up and go workout most mornings so I don't feel too bad about it!  Mornings are the hardest part of the day with my fibromyalgia symptoms so I'm a lucky girl to have that extra time - it can really make a huge difference in how I feel for the whole day!

Anyways...back to the breakfast bar idea :)  I took the same recipe I used for the graham crackers and changed the regular flour to oat flour and the brown sugar to regular sugar (which I will probably switch back).  I really like the flavor the oat flour gave them.  After cooling the dough in the fridge I rolled it out, spread strawberry jelly on half of it and folded the other half over to cover.  I then pinched the sides and baked it at 350°.  I only did about 17 minutes, but I think I'll try for 20 next time.  Overall I really like them, but - and I can't believe I'm going to say this - they are really sweet!  I will play around with what I use for the filling and see what I like best, but they are definitely looking like a good alternative for me!

Have a great day!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...