Monday, December 22, 2014

Making Our Own Ornaments

One of the best things about the holidays are all of the fun ornaments you can make!!  Here are the ornaments we made this year:

Felicia's Ornament:

I saw these on Pinterest and I had to make them! I shop at a local craft store in Redmond, and I've been there a lot recently! They have so many fun things to do right now. I wasn't sure if I could find the caps but luckily they had a bag of 50. I grabbed some paint, Mod Podge and brushes. I originally was going to cut out paper for the eyes, mouth and nose. I instead painted them with paint and nail polish. I also wanted them to sparkly so I found some chunky glitter. I'm so happy I got them! For the post I just used glue dots to stick them to the ribbon but when I mass produced them I want to use a hot glue gun. This one is going to be a gift for someone. The others will hopefully go on trees! 








Beth's Ornament(s):

I actually made around 40 ornaments - but they were all made the same way.  I bought the clear ornaments from the craft store and used metallic and glitter paint to color them.  It was easy - just pour some paint inside the ornament and shake, smack and shimmy it around until the entire thing was coated (about 5 min each).  Then I left them to dry - I started them out right side up for a few hours, then flipped them over in cups for 24 hours.  Some still seemed wet so I left them right side up for an additional 24 hours.  They were really nice looking!!  I hung them all on the tree and I was really happy with them...anyone else hear the but coming?...I looked at them the next night and noticed a few were crackling.  I wasn't too worried about it - I just figured they must not have dried all the way.  Then I looked at them a week later...and most of the ornaments are either crackled or the paint just pooled on the bottom...almost a complete fail.  I was so bummed out!!  I don't know if it was because I used glitter paint and metallic paint, or if it is the temperature change since the tree is in the corner of outside walls, but I'm going to try it again with regular paint and see how it turns out.  Here is a small sample of what they ended up looking like:
 
 Not cool...not cool at all!
 
Has anyone else made ornaments this year?  Please comment and share your ideas!!
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
Three Peas Create
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...