Friday, January 31, 2014

Is it squashghetti or spagash...

I made a delicious slow cooker meal recently and, to my surprise, my husband liked it too! I can't decide what to call it though? Squashghetti or Spagash.  I like Squashghetti! 

On Wednesday's and Thursdays my son and I are out of the house most of the day; so slow cooker meals come in handy. I wanted to try something different. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and decided to add a little to it. There are only three ingredients! What is great about this recipe is you can change it up. Spaghetti squash is so delicious and much better than pasta. I didn't even add butter and that's my motto!

Ok, so here's what I did:


Clean, spilt in half vertical, scoop out seeds and membranes of spaghetti squash.


Put cut side down in your slow cooker. Next time I will get a bit small of a squash this one was almost too big!


Then add about 1 lbs of frozen meatballs and any veggies you would like. I had time for mushrooms here so I added them in. I would like to try zucchini, onions, bell pepper and onions along with the mushrooms. 


Then add your favorite spaghetti sauce, I added a jar which is 24 oz. You can add more if you like. I discovered that the squash makes a lot of liquid which thinned out the sauce a little. I might add some tomato paste next time to help thicken it up. 


That's it, put your lid on and set it for 5-6 hours on low. You can set it for 3-4 on high if you want your meal faster. 


It took tongs and a spatula to get the squash halves out.  The squash came out so easy. On the left I have scooped out the insides and on the right I haven't. I could have just eaten the squash by its self.


This squash made a lot and you can kind of see the water or juices pooling on the plate here. 


This doesn't look like a lot but it was filling. 

This looks very similar to spaghetti and meatballs. It was so yummy!

Here's the ingredient list and cooking times:

1 spaghetti squash medium sized
1 lb of frozen meatballs 
1 jar or 24-32 of homemade marinara sauce
veggies; I added 4 oz of sliced mushrooms, you can add onions, bell pepper, zucchini and anything else you can think of.

Cook on low 5-6 hours
or
High for 3-4 hours

I hope you and your family enjoy this as much as we did!

2 comments:

  1. I made this last night for my boyfriend, and it was a huge hit! I cannot believe the similarity in texture to actual spaghetti. Also i think the official name should be squashghetti

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you liked it! We all love to try different things, and it's so great when it works out for someone else!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...