Friday, October 28, 2016

Soup's On


Check this out! Soup's on! I know I wanted to post about power bowls. I will I promise! It started to rain here and get cooler. I have been wanting to make a hearty soup. I've been searching and searching. I haven't found the exact one yet. I want a little bit of beef stew and French onion but beef or mushroom barley. It all started with this mushroom barely soup I had. I licked the bowl, it was amazing.

This is a beef and barely soup in the slow cooker. They are instructions for stove top from the link I got this from.

I will say I will be tweaking these steps slightly. The barley needs at least 2 hours to cook. There wasn't clear directions. It said to simmer for 1 hour, so I turned it back on and let it cook for one hour. I tried it and it was still crunchy. We had take out for dinner ha! I put it on high for 2 hours and that did the trick. So if you're going to be putting this in the slow cooker I recommend at hour 5 you put the barely in.

Ingredients

2 pounds stew meat (the more marble the better)
Salt
Pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups of water
3 heaping tablespoons of better than bullion
2 sweet onions chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
5 cloves of garlic
1 cup barely rinsed
3 carrots shredded (to be put in the last hour)
1 russet potatoe shredded (to be put in the last hour

Instructions

Salt and pepper the stew meat. Add oil to pan and heat at medium high. In small batches (I have a Dutch oven did mine in 2 batches) brown meat in thirds so there isn't crowding. When all the meat is browned put it back in the pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, stir to get all of the delicious browned bits. Pour the beef and water plus the remaining 6 cups into the slow cooker. Add the celery, onions and garlic. Set on low for 8 hours. At hour 6 is when I would put the barley in. At hour 7 add the shredded carrots and potatoes cook for 1 more hour, hopefully this will turn out great! The flavors are so yummy and it smells so wonderful all day long. My husband and I had ad to try some so we had a late night bowl. We had ours with garlic bread.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...