Thursday, September 3, 2015

Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese...kind of


Wow!  I can't believe how quickly it feels like Fall around here!  For some reason,  Fall always makes me want to get out my slow cooker.  I know most people like to use them during Summer to keep the stove off,  but I don't have to worry about the heat so for me it's Fall!!  Luckily, Felicia agreed and our Cookbook of the Month is for Slow Cookers!  Unfortunately, I won't be using a recipe from there this week - I wanted to make mac & cheese, but their recipe called for condensed cheese soup.  I understand why - the cheese sauce tends to get grainy in slow cookers - but if I'm going to use something like that I might as well eat Kraft (which is my favorite even though I get told how awful it is everytime I tell someone I still eat it - it's my go to when I'm sick)...

Since I was thinking about making (and eating)  mac & cheese for hours, I really wanted it!  I decided to try making my own, since there are lots of people who think it turns out fine.  I tweaked the recipe enough that it's definitely my own, and I like it enough to use it again (but it's still not Kraft...)

3 cups milk
Sprinkle of garlic powder, paprika and pepper
4 cups of shredded cheese (I used the Mexican 4 Cheese kind)
3 cups pasta, your choice, uncooked

Butter your slow cooker.  Add all of the ingredients and stir together.  Set it for low heat, but it will only need to cook for about 2- 2 1/2 hours.  I stirred mine every 30 minutes until it was thick and creamyish, and the pasta was cooked.

So, yep tasty but grainy...hmm but I had an idea!  I put some of the mac on my panini press and grilled it (I usually like to fry it in a pan, but it was easy and I was hungry)  and I feel like it was totally worth making now.  So I'm going to put the rest in the fridge, and fry it up for lunch tomorrow (and maybe a few days after - there's a good amount).

Have a great day!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...