Monday, June 2, 2014

A great Expo...and a little incentive!

  
So excited to see the bees out!
This weekend was packed with fun things.  On Saturday, my mom and I went to the Mother Earth News Fair at the Puyallup Fair Grounds.  It's pretty rare that my mom and I get to spend time together without a million other things happening at the same time.  Usually, Eric and I have to cram a lot of visits into a single day - otherwise we lose an entire weekend of house time (plus the extra travel cost).  Hopefully we will be able to take more time in the near future, but it's already JUNE and we have so much to do still.

When my mom called me to see if I wanted to go to the expo with her, I jumped at the chance.  If you have never seen or heard about Mother Earth News (or even if you have), you have to visit their site!  They cover a broad range of subjects, but I think their tag line says it all "The original guide to living wisely."  Living Green, Organic Gardening, Homesteading...They have it all.  The fair was a 2 day event, but we were only able to go 1 day - next year I am going to go both days if I can.  There are so many presentations/speakers/ workshops that it is impossible to see everything and still see all of great vendors there as well.  Of course there is also the food...yumm fair scones!  Next year, I will take pictures!  I was having so much fun that I completely forgot to take pictures (oops).  I also have a little experiment I will be posting about, but it will probably be next week before it is ready.

Sunday, Eric and I had a lot of fun walking the trails with our neighbors.  We all wanted to see how it would go, so that we could maybe go on a few day hikes in our area.  We took Winda, and they brought their kids, and everyone did great!!  We went a little over 3 miles in 2 hours.  It is really cool that we have so many trails that we can reach just by walking from our house.   

Then, after I rested for a few hours, I decided I needed to get caught up on my weeding - the weather has been a weed heaven lately.  So I spent about 3 hours weeding all the beds in my front yard, and then I weeded the area around the apple tree and planted red and green scallions (just for the heck of it).  I am so excited about how well the front beds are filling in, I can't wait for everything to start blooming!!  My roses took a beating - well a cutting - poor things were covered in black spots so all the affected areas had to go - it wasn't pretty!  I also need to get out and stake my dahlias and peonies asap!! 

Here are a few pictures of my front beds after I finished weeding them.

    
I hope everyone had as much fun as I did this weekend!!

(psst - did anyone else catch the weed in the 3rd picture I didn't notice until after I took the pictures?  There's also a few weeds I left until I had confirmation of what they were - turns out they're Milkweed - good thing I didn't pull them out since they need to be dug out to actually get rid of them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...